The Darkest Kiss  - Gena Showalter

This book is pretty much the same as the first book in the series and I'm fairly confident that the third book will be the same. Love at first sight. Female lead calms the male leads inner demon. A crazy mishmash of Greek mythology and Christianity elements. A plot inserted as an afterthought. Writing that goes from bad to good to bad again. Cartoonish characters.

I tried really hard to like this. The female and male lead both have several reasons for their respective attitudes and I know they are really old (thousand years+) and you can expect a certain level of possessiveness/misogyny but the author had no finesse in getting these characteristics across. The characters just ended up seeming bat shit insane. They did get better towards the middle but maybe that's because....

I tried tricking myself into liking the female lead by stepping back and trying to imagine who this author envisioned as she wrote. The best I could come up with was Aphrodite from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys.

This made reading a little more bearable. Unfortunately there was nothing I could do to picture the male lead differently after having been told his head was a sliced melon that had been put back together again AND burnt off. So what did I picture the male lead looking like the entire time? The Hound from Game of Thrones.

Actually, I think the Hound might be more handsome. I personally don't have a problem with what most people consider ugly, I think scars can be sensual, but this author pushed it way too far to the point that I would have to find Frankenstein's monster attractive. And then imagine said monster pleasuring a woman orally. NO THANKS.

Anyway, I don't think this would have been such a problem if the situations this author wrote weren't so cringe-worthy. Why did I expect otherwise when the first novelette had a guy sticking his tongue in the ladies navel (I think this even happened in this book or a tongue straying way close to one anyway... scrub, scrub, scrub the memory out). ETA: There was toe sucking.... just realised I missed this from my notes. >_<!

There was slut shaming going on. I might have been reading too into this, but I also got a vibe that the author might have had a hidden agenda. The entire romance was about a woman cursed into virginity and the two mains trying to find work-arounds to this dilemma. I liked that this book had more oral scenes than most, but the theme hidden behind it... what the author was pushing... I just felt annoyed!

Just a mention of the words/phrases this book used repetitively.

MINE

pumping

fisting hair

NEEDY

palmed her breast (not bad but not good when it's put on replay)

battling tongues and scraping teeth. SCRAPING TEETH!

teeth, just the word was used so many damn times.

Electric jolts upon touching each other.

Spiky lashes, as in eye lashes.

This book even managed to kill my idea of the character Paris (Promiscuity) and Aeron (Wrath). I didn't like their chapters at all. So, this is the end of the series for me. Not wasting my time reading the same book rehashed ten different ways.

-edit-

A few hours after writing this I had the idea to look up some videos on Aphrodite in the Hercules show to remember if Anya's (the female lead) character was much the same and came across this one... oh, the similarities. For shame!