Alright, I've spent the last couple hours doing everything on BL (reading Grim Lists, following more reviewers and reading tons of reviews in the process) except writing this review. I originally rated the book 2 stars, but I bumped it up by 1/2 star because I really can't decide whether I hated this book as much as I think I did and whether I hated it for the right reasons. -edit- bumped it back to 2 after thinking over. v_v;
This was the Vaginal Fantasy book club pick of the month, selected by the lovely Miss Bonnie Burton, and I had truly hoped to like this one. I think it was mentioned that this book was a parody on 'chic lit', but unfortunately I have never looked in to that genre so I hadn't a clue what to expect. After reading this, I'm pretty certain that this type of parody just doesn't work for me. In fact, reading this was just plain annoying. I even felt silly about feeling this way because I knew what it was and kept on reading. So maybe a star should be taken from me, instead, for being a stick in the mud. :P
Let's start with what I liked. The writing was well done and the descriptions were great, which overall, made reading it easy and not a chore. The characters were memorable at least... if you consider a truck load of crazy a selling point to your character development.
That's pretty much where it ends on the likability scale. I didn't find anything laugh out loud funny, I saw the lines that were meant to be funny, but the reaction I had was more likely to cringe or just shake my head. Perhaps it was just too much, and went way overboard on the characters behaving so awful I almost felt embarrassed for them. My overall feelings after I would reach another chapter were "Please eyeballs, read the damn text faster".
What can you expect from this book?
- Women talking about, and only concerned with, men.
- Every man in the book had the hots for the main character.
- The steamy parts of this book were juvenile and cringe-worthy.
- The character interactions were absurd and the dialogue was equally as bad. One of my chapter notes simply states, "The dialogue in this chapter came off as a poorly acted play.", which I think could be said about the entire book.
- Zero suspension of disbelief going on, so if that's what you like in your fiction...
- Everything was predictable.
So yeah, it was meant to be a parody but just not what I was looking to get out of it. Quotes below in the spoiler tags.... are these things supposed to be funny? Maybe I just need to get a sense of humour... :(